Saturday, October 18, 2008

Brushes with Masterpiece Theatre

A small theme seems to be emerging on this trip, and it centers on Masterpiece Theatre, a show I've watched for as long as I remember. My mom is a big fan, and we spent many hours watching all the series while I was growing up: Upstairs, Downstairs, Poldark, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Poldark, Brideshead Revisited, Jewel in the Crown, The Forsyte Saga, etc. I still faithfully watch the show. Last night at All My Sons, Dereck Jacobi (I, Claudius, Cadfael, Hamlet) was in the audience, and he looks great. As we were chatting with our seat neighbors about him, the man told us that he had a great Masterpiece Theatre story. Long story short--he introduced his wife to Robin Ellis (the hunky guy who played the role of Poldark in the 70's) at a PBS fundraising dinner, and she ended up marrying him after they were divorced! She's still married to him and living in London. Then today at The Seagull (more on this later), who should be in the cast but two Masterpiece Theatre veterans--Art Malik (Jewel in the Crown, Far Pavillions) and Carey Mulligan (Northanger Abbey, Bleak House, The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard). Both were terrific in this perfectly cast Chekhov classic. Who knows, maybe this theme will continue!

No comments: